I feel like everyone is talking about their resolutions for the New Year, and I am still sitting here wondering “where did 2017 go?”. This year went by so quickly, and although it was one filled with challenges, anxiety, stress, and moments when I questioned why I was even doing what I was doing, it was also filled with a whole year of Parker developing, exploring, and reaching so many milestones.
I love ending the year by a writing a set of intentions. I hate resolutions, because I feel like they often set us up for failure. I have been writing intentions (almost) every month this past year, and they help me to reset and re-evaluate what was not working the month before, and give me tools to change things. I also love monthly intention writing because it takes the pressure off of January 1st. To me, this is just another month of intentions, and focusing on what brings me the most joy.
But before I write my intentions, I want to recap 17 fun and special moments of 2017! Here we go!
- I took my health and nutrition to another level, and became educated on things like adaptogens, a gluten and dairy free diet, sugar consumption, meal prepping, and the best workouts for my body.
- I curated a set of tools to lower my anxiety and relax me during a pretty stressful school-year. I became more mindful, meditated more, took stress-relieving walks, and started using essential oils everyday.
- I learned to say NO to anything that does not serve me.
- We got a Vitamix and it changed my life haha! Hello homemade almond milk, vegan cheese sauce, and the best smoothies I have every made.
- We also got an Instant Pot. Game changer for a busy mom like me. Healthy meals ready in minutes, don’t know how I lived without it.
- Parker finally walked at 19 months! Still carrying him up and down stairs but hey! walking is a start!
- I found my nursing niche, and confirmed my passion for helping new mommas and their sweet babies. Breastfeeding, swaddling, ensuring mom and baby both have stable blood sugar (gestational diabetes), and listening to a newborn’s heartbeat have all thrilled me.
- I learned how to take myself less seriously. Life is not perfect, and neither am I.
- I spent quality time with friends, and strive to continue regular phone calls with those who live far.
- We got rid of Parker’s pacifier, and it wasn’t even that bad.
- I switched all of my household cleaning products to non-toxic ones. Thank you Young Living and Honest Company!
- I baked a lot of healthy treats. I ate all of said treats.
- Ben excelled at work and shows everyday how much his family’s company means to him.
- We survived kid colds with school and work (Thank you Bubbie and Zayda).
- We taught Parker about all of the Jewish holidays, and have instilled in him a love for being Jewish (especially celebrating shabbat and lighting Chanukkah candles).
- We went on lots of dates, some brunch and some dinner, and tried to remain connected through a crazy year.
- I completed the bulk of my nursing program without losing my mind (almost haha!!).
Well writing all of that down definitely makes me feel pretty accomplished! But the things I am most proud of are the moments I lived being present, taking in every afternoon at the playground, every crisp fall walk, and every pool day. That is what really matters babes!
Wishing you all a Happy New Year and so much joy in 2018.